Thursday, March 12, 2009

Another year, another win in Italy

I'm thrilled that Arsenal beat Roma. As everyone points out, Arsenal are a young, talented team; each time they achieve a great win, we fill with expectation that this team will rise to be one of the best. Yet . . . I have my doubts. After the win, the manager -- Arsene Wenger -- praised the mental strength of the team. He's said this before. It was one year ago in the Champions League that Aresenal went to the San Siro stadium and took on A.C. Milan. Cesc Fabregas scored a wonderful goal, and Arsenal won. (By the way, what bothers me is that in all the replays of the goal, all that is shown is Fabregas striking the ball and it going in -- the replays ignore the wonderful move Fabregas made to dispossess the Milan defender, touch the ball twice, AND THEN bang it in the back of the net.)

I remember jumping up and down when the Gunners beat AC Milan. But they could not keep up the level of play in the games that followed. So now Aresenal have done it again. They've gone to Rome and beat another legendary Italian team. I hope the weeks that come do not mirror what happened in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment